Main Terms of the Contract for Renting Student Accommodation

When you’re renting Lancashire student accommodation, you want to make sure that you get all of the information from your landlord before you sign on the dotted line. The last thing that you want to do is miss out on a great house because you didn’t read the contract carefully enough! Here are some of the main terms to check for when you’re looking at a contract:

Will I have to pay a deposit?

A deposit is an upfront fee that usually equates to one month’s rent, but can sometimes be more. This is used to protect the property and will only be returned if all of the tenants leave the property in good condition and with no outstanding rent payments. This is something that most private landlords ask for, but it’s worth checking what the terms of your contract say before you sign on the dotted line.

If you’re renting a property with other students, it’s important to find out whether you will be on a joint contract or individual contracts. If you are on a joint agreement then it means that if any of the students decide to move out, then the other students will need to enter into a new tenancy agreement with the landlord. This can be difficult if you are studying in a different university to the ones you’re living with or if one of the students decides they’d rather live somewhere else. If you rent with a company like Fresh then they often offer individual contracts for each student so that if any of the students move out, then it’s only the student who needs to enter into a new contract with the landlord.

What Are the Main Terms of the Contract for Renting Student Accommodation?

Most landlords require that students have a guarantor – usually a parent or other family member who agrees that they will cover the rent if something goes wrong. If you don’t have a guarantor, then it may be more difficult to secure student accommodation and you’ll probably need to work much harder to find it.

Living in student accommodation provides a unique and influential experience. By embracing diversity in perspectives, seeking professional development opportunities, supporting LGBTQ+ inclusivity, engaging in civic activities, and promoting responsible gaming and digital citizenship, you contribute to a thriving and inclusive living environment that enhances your university journey and fosters personal and academic growth.

Does the contract have a break clause?

Most private landlords of Lancashire student accommodation use AST agreements for their properties and these are usually on fixed term contracts, meaning that they will run until the end of the academic year. However, some students may ask their landlord for a break clause to be included in the contract. This would mean that if the students were to need to leave their accommodation due to the coronavirus pandemic, they could break their contract early by serving notice in accordance with the break clause terms of their agreement.

There are many types of student accommodation in Lancashire including economical halls of residence, studio apartments and affordable private rented houses (PBSA). There is even UCLan accommodation near the city centre that has great social spaces, rooftop gardens and rooftop cinema rooms! To view all the available student properties in Preston, take a look at our site.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *